Thursday, August 7, 2014

Competition vs Cooperation in Education

Competition vs Cooperation in Education

When I taught math at Pasadena High School in the late 90’s, we had a situation where if the we as a school met certain goals, then the teachers would receive a bonus.  We did meet those goals and all the teachers received a bonus of around $600 each.  It was a nice reward for doing our jobs well.  At the time we were under the TAKS testing system where only English and Math were tested.  The key was that all the faculty pitched in to help the school meet its objectives.  Each department was given areas that they were to review with the kids.  For instance, social study teachers put up English warm-up exercises for their students to work on.  The same was done with science except that they did math instead.  (An observation – not all science teachers were good at math.  I went to help them set up problems and show the solutions several times over the school year.)  Notice that we all pulled together for the good of the school and our students.  And we were very successful in that regard.

Now there are plans to rate teachers according to how well their students do on the standardized tests.  But how will that system promote cooperation among teachers?  I believe it will not.  If I am being judged against my teaching peers in my department, then I will keep my successful techniques to myself so that I do not help my “competition”, the other teachers, do better than me.  If there are quotas to get rid of a certain percent of teachers, I am not going to help those who might push me out.  I have heard that certain school districts in Texas, such as Houston ISD, do have goals to meet including getting rid of teachers who are rated lowest in their group.  Some assistant principals just fire these low performing teachers regardless of what has happened in the classroom.  Poor management that teachers end up paying for with their jobs.


We need to set up programs that promote cooperation between teachers.  It has happened before and with the right incentive system, it can happen again.  Cooperation is the way to go in our school systems.  Leave the competition to the athletic teams on the fields of play.

No comments:

Post a Comment